Shakshuka is comfort food at its finest: good at any time of day, easily adaptable (and ‘grammable), and hearty without inducing a food coma. Runny eggs add richness to a lightly spiced tomato sauce — perfect for sopping up with toasted bread.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10-11 mins
to tackle a social media challenge
- 1 cup (230g) chunky tomato sauce
- ½ (60g) red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ (100g) medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- Add all ingredients except the eggs into the Anyday dish and mix to combine. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 6 minutes, or until vegetables have softened and sauce has reduced.
- Make 4 small wells in the sauce to nestle the eggs. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt. With a sharp knife, gently poke a small hole in the yolk to prevent it from bursting during cooking.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the egg whites are set but the yolks remain runny. Add more time for fully-cooked yolks. Drizzle with more olive oil to serve.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and some feta or cotija cheese.
- Serve alongside pita or toasted bread.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.