Creamy corn spoonbread
“Bread” is a bit of a misnomer for this buttery, custard-like dish that you’ll definitely want to serve with a spoon. Studded with juicy corn kernels and spicy jalapeños to balance the cheesiness, this is a rich side dish that holds its own alongside any hearty entree.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time7-8 mins
to plan next week’s dinners
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- ½ jalapeño, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup (80g) cream style corn
- 2 tablespoons fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup (60g) sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (30g) cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (17g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in the Anyday dish. Then, add all the remaining ingredients and mix to combine. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 7-8 minutes, or until the cornbread looks set like a cake. Top with more shredded cheese and serve while warm.
Serving suggestions & tips
- Top this dish with a crispy cheese cracker: before cooking the spoonbread, lightly butter or coat the bottom of the Anyday Dish with nonstick spray and sprinkle a light layer of shredded cheddar cheese. Cook in 30-second intervals for 2-3 minutes in total until light golden brown. Cool the cracker completely before removing from the bowl. Set aside and add atop the finished spoonbread for a crunchy layer of deliciousness.
- Replace the sour cream with plain Greek yogurt for a lighter version. Add some cayenne pepper to the batter for a spicy twist or a drizzle of honey on top for a sweet contrast.
- Use any leftover cream style corn in frittatas, soups, and fried rice!
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.