Adding beets to hummus brightens both the flavor and color of this Mediterranean staple (not to mention packs a nutritional punch). Garlicky, tangy, and full of spice, this healthy spread goes perfectly with pita chips or veggies.
All of Anyday’s recipes are tested (and retested!) in many different microwaves and home kitchens to make sure they work — and work well.
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time12 mins
to send flowers to someone special, just because
- 2-3 (400g) medium beets, peeled and cut into medium-sized chunks
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup (80g) canned chickpeas, strained
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Add the beets, garlic, and olive oil into the Anyday dish and mix to combine. Cover with the lid (knob lifted).
- Cook in the microwave for 12 minutes, or until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Allow the beets to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a blender or food processor. Blend the beets with all the remaining ingredients until it becomes a smooth paste. If it’s too thick, add water a teaspoon at a time to thin it out.
- Put the mixture back into the Anyday dish, drizzle with some more olive oil, and serve!
Serving suggestions & tips
- Try white beans or lentils in place of chickpeas.
- Garnish with crumbled feta and chopped parsley for some extra oomph.
- Microwave ovens vary, even with the same wattages. Adjust cooking times as needed.